This one is a must! If you are a business with a physical address that clients can visit then you MUST list your website in Google places. Google Places is what appears when a ‘local’ Google search is performed.
A local search from Google’s perspective is where someone combines a product or service with a city or town. i.e. “t shirt printing Los Angeles”.
Various map entries appear which show the business name, street address, and telephone number of companies that offer the product of service in the area specified:
It’s how most of us find the business we are looking for!
So how do you list your business in Google Places for free?
Simple! Follow these steps
- Browse to www.google.com/places
- Select “Get started”.
- Login with your Google account. If you do not have one select “Sign up now”. Remember, your Gmail account is a Google account so you can use that.
- Google Places now asks for your business phone number to try to find some information about your business. Select your country and enter your phone number.
- You will now be prompted to enter some basic information about your business. Complete as much of this form as possible. Remember, you must use a real street address. PO Boxes cannot be used.Under “Description” type a lot of detail about your business. Use lots of keywords to describe your business and use words you think people might use to find you. i.e. “embroidery business”, “custom t shirt printing”, “workwear”, etc.
Under “Category” enter as many categories as you want that are relevant for your business. As you start to type a category such as “embroidery” Google will recommend a category for you. To add a new category select the blue “Add another category” link.
- Upload some photos of your work not just your logo. People browsing Google care more about the quality of your work than your logo.
- When finished press “Submit” at the bottom of the page. Google will ask you to verify you are real by either an SMS, phone call or postcode. Select SMS or phone call as a postcode can take weeks to arrive.
Remember, you can always update or change your Google Places listing at any time. Keep it up-to-date and packed with lots of juicy content.
While you’re at it, here is a quick video from Google!